Wednesday 12 November 2014

Fundraiser for single moms


Yesterday was a fantastic day. I went to the Remembrance Day ceremony in the morning and in the evening I went to a fundraising event to benefit single moms. I have a heart for young moms who are struggling to take care of their kids alone. At one point I was a single mom with five kids under the age of 7. I know what it's like to worry about how you're going to put food on the table or pay your rent. Thankfully I had some help along the way and now whenever I get the chance to give back I do. 

I was glad to see such a great turn-out and I was happy to see they raised some pretty good money from the auction. Some people won some really beautiful Huichol artwork. The bead work art was amazing, as well as the yarn paintings. Some of the other auction items were well...interesting. I particularly liked the ingenuity of the dial phone attached to the board, pretty high tech. I need to get me one of those. Hahaha. 








The music was a blast. The singer and her husband were from Salt Spring Island, BC. They were amazing, as were all the musicians. What a treat to see so many great musicians all playing together. Click here for a video of them doing Chain of Fools. They had everyone up on their feet dancing all night. The kids were having so much fun too. Loved seeing their big smiles. So sweet. 






Oh and I must say the chocolate cake that I shouldn't of been eating was delicious. Yes I ate cake knowing that I get sick from gluten and dairy. I ate two pieces actually and some turnovers too. Tisk tisk AdinaNow due to my gluttony I've been cooped up in my motel room all day belly aching. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and I had to do it because it was for charity. Yep it was for the kids. ;)