Wednesday 18 June 2014

Cipro or no Cipro?

I've been sick for the past few days with some sort of gut issue. I've just been hiding at home hoping that whatever lovely bacteria has invaded my system will work itself out (literally lol). I've been debating whether I need to take the Ciprofloxacin my doctor gave me in case of Montezuma's Revenge or not. Here's a little info on Ciprofloxacin - Click here. This is a heavy duty antibiotic. The website says Cipro can be used as a treatment in a bioterror attack of Anthrax! Not to mention it has the risk of severe muscle weakness. Funny how my doctor forgot to give me all this information when she sent me off with a bottle of this stuff. Needless to say I haven't taken it yet. I have a hunch this isn't the dreaded Motezuma's Revenge because from what I've heard it's hellish and I would be much sicker. So for now I will continue my regime of taking my grapefruit seed extract, ginger tablets, peppermint tea and probiotics. I also have my Pepto Bismol and Imodium on hand because you can't be in Mexico without those.


When I was here for 6 months in the past, I took two chewable Pepto's with every restaurant meal and I never got sick. The idea is that Bismuth subsalicylate is an acid and the acid kills any unwanted bacteria before it has a chance to wreak havoc on your system. Maybe I have to start taking them again when I eat in restaurants. Although I don't think it was restaurant food that made me sick this time. I actually think it was me being careless at home. I knew coming here that I had to be careful in restaurants with the water, the ice, not eating lettuce because it's washed in the bad water, not eating from street vendors, only eating fruit and vegetables that have been peeled and so on and so on. But what I forgot was at home I have to be careful too. I've got a feeling I got sick because I didn't soak all my fruits and vegetables in Microdyn. It's an iodine solution that kills any microorganisms hanging out on the produce. But silly me, I was so hungry the other night that I rinsed a carrot and a cucumber (with bottled water) then ate them. Oh no I didn't peel them, I just threw some water on them and then ate them. Duh. No wonder I'm sick!

I guess I'll just keeping doing what I'm doing and hope it improves.

The verdict is - I'm not taking the Cipro unless I feel like I want to die or if an Anthrax attack hits. So far so good. ;)


Lesson learned - use Mircodyn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment