Sunday 15 June 2014

Eggs-cellent prices here

I went grocery shopping yesterday at a little market near my house. Here's a photo of everything I bought for a whopping 187 pesos - about $15 Canadian.


What a great deal. Just the cereal alone would of been 6 bucks in Canada. I think I overestimated what my grocery bill is going to cost every month. (It's the electricity bill I'm hoping isn't super expensive because I'm running the air conditioner all night. I can't sleep without it!)

Now see those eggs? I have to say I was a little nervous about buying them. Not only because they come in plastic bags and I wondered how I was going to get them home without breaking them, but also because I was worried about buying unrefrigerated eggs. This is unheard of in Canada and the US but here in Mexico it's just the way it is. Even Wal-mart in Mexico sells them unrefrigerated. It scares me but everyone eats them and survives. I'm sure I will too. But if I die of Salmonella poisoning it was the killer eggs!!

Update: After doing some research I found out they don't wash their eggs here and that's why they can be kept out of the fridge. Once you wash an egg it loses its protective coating and needs to be refrigerated. They would never sell eggs in Canada covered in chicken poop or feathers but here in Mexico they do. You're suppose to wash them just before you use them. Well I'm going to wash them when I get them home and then refrigerate them. I can get use to some of the customs here but not all of them. You can shoot fireworks at me but you can't make me keep my eggs on the counter in this heat! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment