Tuesday 8 July 2014

Good Karma

It's funny how just one detour can change things in your life. A few days ago I was on my way home from my daily walk downtown when I decided to take a detour down a different road. I wanted to take a photo of the graffiti wall near the beach.


Right after I took this photo I noticed a Mexican couple walking toward the beach and they were carrying a Chihuahua puppy. Being a huge Chihuahua lover of course I had to go pet it. When I was petting her I noticed she was missing a foot and most of the fur on her back was gone. Poor thing. I had to help this dog. I decided right there I wasn't leaving without her. The people didn't speak English and my Spanish is very limited but I managed to find out the mother dog had bitten the puppy's paw off (probably after delivery when she was cleaning her). They also told me the other puppies were always beating her up and they had to take her away from them. I asked if they were selling her. I didn't care how much they asked for, I would of paid it. They smiled, said 'nada' and handed me the puppy. That was it. I now had a Chihuahua puppy in my arms. All I wanted to do was get her home and fix her up.

As I carried her home, she wagged her tail and licked my face as if to say thank you, thank you, thank you. It was so sweet. As I walked I wondered what I was in for in caring for this little one. She was filthy, she smelled bad, she had fleas, ticks, was losing her fur and was missing a foot. But I knew I could handle it. I've had dogs for over 20 years. I would just do what I know how to do and the rest the vet would do.

First thing I did when I got home was grab some money and then head to the pet store. Unlike at home, the pet stores here carry medication as well as pet supplies. It's just like the pharmacy here, you don't need a prescription, you just walk in and tell them what you want. I picked up some flea shampoo, de-worming pills, a disinfectant solution for her leg and some puppy food. All for only 200 pesos, just under $20. With inexpensive prices like this I could be the 'Crazy Chihuahua Lady' and have a house full of Chihuahua's! (Ha ha don't worry I won't.)

She wasn't a fan of bath time but she sure smelled better after!


All clean and soaking up some sun.


Already doing the guard dog thing. She's 2 pounds of courage and love.

I named her Karma. Here's a video I took of her this morning. She jumped into the carrier sometime during the night. I found her sleeping in it in the morning. She's so funny.
            
      







No comments:

Post a Comment