Friday 13 June 2014

Watch out for el torito!

Last night was Savannah's last night here in Mexico with me. We ventured out at night to the town square where a celebration was happening for the feast of St. Anthony. They had a little fair set up in the square with some rides the kids, food vendors and entertainment on stage. I really enjoyed watching the dancing. Some of the dancers danced to English hip hop songs. One of the songs had explicit lyrics with a lot of F-words, but everyone spoke Spanish so they didn't have a clue. Sav and I just looked at each other and laughed.

Earlier in the day I took video of a procession of people walking with a priest and a band. I had no idea what I was seeing until we got to the celebration in the evening. Ah ha, the procession was for St. Anthony.




St. Anthony is the patron saint of animals. People were bringing their horses and even a huge bull to the priest to be blessed with holy water. Now they have a holy bull rather than a holy cow hahaha. Get it, holy cow? Hehe

Speaking of bulls, at the end of the night the festivities ended with el torito making an appearance. Torito is a handmade bull that has fireworks attached to it. They light the fireworks and then someone runs with it over their head through the crowd like a raging bull shooting fireworks at everyone. In the video you can hear Savannah say 'loco!' It sure was. You can see how close the fireworks got to me. Sav was smart, she screamed and ran away. I stuck around to shoot the video and got hit in the foot with a firework. It melted the toe of my shoe! Thankfully I wasn't wearing flip flops. :)




I love how Mexicans love to celebrate. But next time I'm staying away from el torito!






No comments:

Post a Comment