Tuesday 22 December 2015

Zoo in Colima


I enjoyed walking through the Griselda Alvarez Regional Park in downtown Colima. It's a lush tropical looking park with a little zoo. They had a variety of animals, including monkeys, birds, hairless dogs, giant iguanas and two beautiful lions.



Seeing the Mexican Hairless dogs (Xoloitzcuintle) locked in cages as a zoo exhibit was really tough to see. When they wagged their tails and we're so excited to see me, I just had to pet them. So I went around to the back of their cages, reached in and pet each one of them. They were so friendly and happy to have some attention. One of them looked like a Lab cross. She was a mess. Her eyes were infected and the poor thing was so fat it broke my heart. I felt so bad for her and all of them actually. They're dogs. They should be living homes with loving owners, not living in a zoo. I just wanted to take them all home.  



Getting over the bridge to 'iguana island' was interesting. In my excitement/terror of seeing the iguanas I missed seeing a hole in the bridge and stuck my foot through it. Thankfully I never fell in. Between the nasty green water, not knowing how to swim and huge iguanas swimming around, I would of had a heart attack! 


I'm not sure why lizards freak me out so much, but they do. I was pretty nervous standing near these big guys. Every time they'd moved I was ready to run in the other direction. I watched one swim across the water, climb up a tree and turn from orange to green. I was glad it was swimming away from me and not running toward me!