Saturday 13 December 2014

Rips & rainbows

I arrived at the Manzanillo airport thinking I was really smart for packing light for my trip to Playa del Carmen. For a change I managed to get everything I needed into a carry-on bag. Since I only had half an hour in Mexico City to catch my connecting flight in Cancun, I didn't want to take the chance that my checked luggage wouldn't make it onto the plane. I'm always planning ahead, but in the end it didn't really matter. It seems I always have a few glitches to deal with when I travel. This time it was my own fault.

Just before boarding I decided shove my camera bag into my carry-on. This was the result...


Oops major rip. Guess that was a bad idea! Then as I was about to board the plane, a guy ran over and said the plane's overhead compartments were full. I'd have to check my bag after all. Grrrr. I tried to explain that I'd just ripped my bag and if they throw it into cargo all my stuff would fall out. He didn't care. He took the bag and said he'd staple it closed. Staples? Hmm okay airport man. And off he went with my bag. Thankfully I remembered to grab my camera out of it first!


Once my bag was apprehended and stapled, we were ready to take off. As always I was the last one on the plane.

I flew from Manzanillo to Mexico City and then to Cancun. My flights were great and I even got a cool video of a rainbow that followed us in as we landed. What a nice welcome to Cancun.


From the Cancun airport I took a bus to Playa del Carmen. It took about an hour. I'd never taken a coach bus before. I actually enjoyed the ride. The seats were really comfortable, they had a movie playing and I liked the idea of having a washroom on board. Not a bad way to travel at all. I think I'll be doing more of it. :)